Ards Minor Injury Unit is introducing a phone first appointment system29th October 2020
From Monday 2 November, the Minor Injury Unit at Ards Hospital is adapting access arrangements to provide a safer environment for patients and staff given the impact of Covid 19.
To work more effectively, the service will operate on an appointment only system. Patients must contact the unit on (028) 9151 0110 to speak to an Emergency Nurse Practitioner who will assess your condition and give an appointment as appropriate. This arrangement has been operating successfully in the Downe Hospital MIU for several months.
The Minor Injury Unit remains open Monday – Friday, 9am-5pm and closed on weekends.
How will this work?
• If you have a minor injury, please phone us on (028) 9151 0110.
• The Emergency Nurse Practitioner (ENP) will either take your call directly or you will be called back if it is busy.
• They will provide advice for simple first aid measures or arrange an appointment if you need assessment and treatment.
• If you have a symptoms which haven’t been caused by a without a minor injury such as a chronic condition then you may need to contact your own GP for further advice.
• X-rays are only carried out for patients who have had a minor injury to comply with radiology best practice.
It is vital that any patient with a life-threatening condition such as chest pain, symptoms of a stroke or a serious head injury should ring 999 immediately.