New Parent Programme
The New Parent Programme runs in the South Eastern Health & Social Care Trust area and focuses on first time mothers. Most of us do not learn about babies or parenting until we have our own. It is during a first pregnancy that the best chance exists to promote and teach positive health and development behaviours between a mother and her first baby.
The aim of the programme is to:
- Help ensure a healthy pregnancy and healthy baby
- Support you and your baby’s growing relationship
- Help you build a strong support network of family and friends
- Help you make your home a safe place for your baby
- Help you set goals for your own life
- Make referrals as you need them e.g. child care and other services available in the community
You will have regular visits from your Health Visitor who is specially trained to deliver a programme tailor made to your needs. You will continue to attend your Midwife, clinics and any other professional who may be involved with you.
The Health Visitor has been chosen due to their healthcare background. Their role is to provide you and your family with regular home visits from early in your pregnancy until your baby is 2 years.
The programme works with the strengths of the client and helps them to fulfill their goals for their baby and themselves. The Health Visitor will use practical activities to work with you, the father and wider family.
How do I access this service?
Referrals are received from Health Visiting, Midwives, Social Workers and GPs.