Our Commitment

We want to give the best service to all our residents, patients and clients, and their relatives and carers. Usually we succeed – but sometimes things can go wrong. When this happens, we want to hear about it so we can put things right.

The information below tells you what to do if you are unhappy with the service we have provided to you, a relative, or someone in your care. You can also tell us if you are unhappy if we have not provided a service that you think we should have provided.

You can complain if you are:

  • Dissatisfied with a service provided, either to yourself, your relative or someone in your care
  • Concerned that you, your relative or someone in your care has not received a service you think should be provided

If you are making a complaint for someone else, you will need to get their written consent to do so.

If you are having technical issues with the complaints form, please send your complaint via email to

  • How to Complain

    Tell the person you are dealing with that you are not satisfied so that, if possible, the problem can be sorted out straight away. If you cannot agree or find it hard to approach the person, ask to speak to their Manager.

    If you still cannot agree or find it hard to approach the Manager, contact the Complaints Office. Complaints staff are appointed by the Trust and are here to help you.

    To contact the Complaints Office you can:

    • Complete the ‘Complaints Form’ below
    • Write or email
    • Telephone
    • Call in person (by arrangement)

    Complaints Department
    South Eastern HSC Trust
    Lough House
    Ards Community Hospital
    Church Street
    BT23 4AS

    Phone: (028) 9056 1427


    Tel: (028) 9056 1427
    Fax: (028) 9056 4815


  • Time Limits To Making A Complaint

    It is important to make your complaint as soon as possible. The time limits for making a complaint are:-

    • Within 6 months of the event
    • Within six months of becoming aware that you have cause for complaint, provided this is not more that 12 months after the event

    These limits can be extended if there are good reasons why you did not complain sooner.

  • What Happens Then?

    Your complaint will be acknowledged within two working days of receipt and it will be investigated thoroughly and confidentially.

    We aim to respond to your complaint in full within 20 working days, to address your concerns and let you know of any actions taken as a result. However, some complaints take longer to resolve than others. We will tell you if it becomes clear that we cannot respond within the timescales and we will explain why.

    At any stage a meeting can be arranged to discuss your complaint when you may be accompanied by a relative, friend or someone from the Patient Client Council.

  • What If You Are Unhappy With Our Response?

    We are committed to doing our best to resolve any complaint you may have. If having received our reply you are still not happy, please contact the Complaints Office within one month.

    We will discuss the options available which may help to resolve any outstanding issues, and can explain how you can take your complaint further.

    What If You Remain Dissatisfied?

    If you remain dissatisfied, you can refer your complaint to the Northern Ireland Public Services Ombudsman. The Ombudsman will consider your complaints to determine whether they will investigate.

    Although you have the right to approach the Ombudsman at any time, The Ombudsman will not usually take on a case which has not first been through the Complaints Procedure.

    Further information on the services of the Ombudsman is available by contacting:

    Northern Ireland Public Services Ombudsman
    Freepost NIPSO

    Freephone: (0800) 34 34 24

    Text Phone: (028) 9089 7789



  • Access to Records

    Please note, that to enable us to investigate your complaint, your personal information (e.g. relevant health or social care records) may need to be available to the person/s investigating your complaint. If you have any concerns about this, please contact our Complaints Department staff.

  • Useful Contacts

    Throughout the complaint investigations you also have a right to seek the help of the Patient and Client Council (PCC).

    The PCC is an independent body, set up to represent your interests in Health & Social Care. They can provide free and confidential advice, information and help throughout the complaints process, help with writing letters, making phone calls, supporting you at meetings or assisting with bringing your complaint to The Ombudsman.

    You can get more information about the PCC at:

    Freephone: (0800) 917 0222



    The Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority (RQIA) is the independent Health and Social Care regulatory body for Northern Ireland. Further information about services provided by RQIA is available at:

    Tel: (028) 9051 7500


  • Other languages and formats