Ophthalmology Nursing Service ICATS
The primary aim of the ICATS ophthalmology service is to provide an individualised care programme for patients/clients with a range of minor and intermediate eye disease using and ICATS model of care.
We can carry out a range of diagnostic ophthalmic examinations including OCT (Optical coherence tomography), retinal imaging and visual fields assessment.
There are over fifty appointments available on a weekly basis with the ICATS Ophthalmic Nurse Specialist, they include the following:
- Anterior segment disease such as anterior and posterior blepharitis
- Dry Eye syndrome
- Epiphora, (watery eyes)
- Tear Sac Washout of Lacrimal ducts
- Some minor operations such as skin tag removal and excision of meibomian cysts
- Diabetic screening
- Screening for patients with suspected Age related Macular Degeneration
- Glaucoma screening, in accordance with NICE guidelines (2018)
- Pre and Post-operative assessment of the cataract patients
A consultant is available for 2nd opinions when required. The nurse specialist can be contacted for further advice and information.
Referrals to the ICATS Ophthalmology Service are accepted from GP’s, Opticians, Optometrists, Consultant Ophthalmologists and other Consultants.
The letters are sent to the appointments office where they are triaged by the Consultant Ophthalmologist and the Specialist Nurse into either the ICATS or Consultant clinic. The appointments office then issue a letter asking the patient to make contact where an appointment will be provided.
The service operates over two sites, the Downe Hospital in Downpatrick and Lagan Valley Hospital in Lisburn. For appointment information (patients already referred by their GP) please contact the hospital to which you have been referred and ask for the Appointments Office:
Tel: (028) 4461 3311
Lagan Valley Hospital
Tel: (028) 9266 5141